Sunday, February 12, 2012

Tale of Two Kitties - Part 1

As I mentioned briefly in a previous post, Glenn and I are now proudly owned by 2 cats.  We have been pet-less for a few years now and often discuss the pros and cons of traveling with pets.  Cats would definitely be easier was the conclusion we came to, but had no plans of adopting any in the near future.

I was working at the Arts and Crafts store at our summer job at Mammoth Cave Jellystone Park.  I believe it August 21, a Sunday.  A little girl about 10 or 11 years old came up to me with a box.  She told me they had tamed two kittens found under one of the cabins during their camping trip.  The family was leaving and did not live in Kentucky, could I please take them to a shelter or find them a home?  I told her I could.  I found a bigger box, so they couldn't climb out and of course, called Glenn to come see them!  Since it was a Sunday, I HAD to take them back to our campsite until our next day off.  Then I could take them to the local shelter.  They were SO tiny, especially the white one.  She must have been the runt.

I just knew it would take a bit of time to convince Glenn to keep them.  We were sitting at our campfire enjoying the evening and watching the kittens explore the campsite.  I hadn't even brought up the subject of keeping the kittens yet, when out of the blue, Glenn says " Heaven knows you do enough around here, Marcie.  If you want kittens, you should be able to have them."  Enough said!  Off to the dollar store for food, litter box, litter, scratching post and of course, a few toys!

Glenn named the boy "M2" after his favorite (and only cat he admits to liking) cat, Mickey, my uncle's cat.  (We learned recently the Mickey passed away :(  )  I named the female "Iris" because of her blue eyes.



I was working the following day and got a call from Glenn. "You've got to come and take a picture of this!" So I ran down and this is what I saw. Glenn's Geek Squad! He called me twice more that day to rescue him. The kittens would get under his rocker/recliner and he couldn't get up because he was afraid they would get squished! I finally convinced him they would quickly learn how to stay out of the way.




You can see just how tiny they were!  That's my hand Iris is sleeping in.
We weren't sure how they would react to actually traveling, so it was good we only had to drive an hour to our next job.  I followed Glenn in the truck, so he was on his own with the kittens in the motorhome.  At one point, he called to say he had to pull over because one of the kittens were pinched under the chair.  But as he braked the motorhome, the chair rocked and released the poor thing.  The rest of the trip was uneventful.
 I plan to tell more tales of our lives with Mickey and Iris, but I will say now that I can't imagine our lives without them!  They definitely keep us entertained (and aggravated, in Glenn's case, sometimes!).  I'm so glad we adopted 2, they keep each other company and double the entertainment!

No comments:

Post a Comment