Friday, March 23, 2012

OH, NO! It's the big 6-0!!

Yep, it finally caught up to me!  But they must have moved the hill, 'cause I certainly don't feel over it!

March 8 is my birthday and to celebrate, I wanted to go tour the Blue Bell Creamery where they produce one of my favorite brands.  (Well, when it comes to ice cream almost every brand is my favorite! lol)  I first tasted Blue Bell ice cream while trucking across the country with my late husband.  At that time, I think you could only find this brand in Texas.  Anyway, we were within an hour's drive from the creamery in Brenham.  Our plan was to go after lunch, take the tour, have some ice cream and then go to Applebee's for dinner.

I called ahead to make sure they were doing tours that day.  They were, but we were told to come as soon as possible because the was a baseball tournament in town and it was going to get really busy.  We quickly got ready and hit the road.  On the way there, we saw the first of the bluebonnets and Indian paintbrush bloom.

We arrived just after the start of the 12:30 tour, so we bought our tickets for the 1:00 tour and wandered around the shop and grounds.

Always the joker, Glenn had me act like I was trying to break into the ice cream truck!  Now I'll admit there have been days.......

We had a scoop of ice cream then went on our tour.  We had a small group, so it was easy to see the production floor.  Our tour guide was great!  She grew up in Brenham and remembered visiting family at work and getting ice cream right off the production line!  This day they were making Cherry Vanilla flavor and ice cream sandwiches.  We love to see how things are made! 

After the tour, guess what?  We got a scoop of ice cream as part of the tour!  And then our guide brought us a small scoop of Birthday Cake ice cream.  Okay, no need for lunch now and there were too many hours before we'd be hungry enough for dinner, so we returned to the campground.

Loved this t-shirt!
When we did finally feel the need to eat, we drove into Columbus and had dinner at Schoebel's restaurant.  Good homestyle cooking!

Instead of birthday cake, I made myself a Peanut Butter Hot Fudge pie.  I found the recipe on Pinterest (that site is not helping my diet!).  This pie is soooo good!  Really rich but very yummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment