Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Colorado River Thousand Trails Preserve

We left Lake Conroe Thousand Trails Preserve and moved to Colorado River Thousand Trails Preserve on February 27th.  It was about a 1 1/2 hour drive.  We had planned to stay about a week here and then 3 weeks at Medina Lakes TT.  We had never visited the Colorado River site before.  Once we saw the beautiful surroundings, we changed our reservations and we will be here until March 19th.

This campground is very spacious, with lots of green grass and huge pecan trees.  Some of the trees are over 200 years old.  We picked a site along the river.  When we arrived, you had to walk to the bank to see the water in the river.  That would soon change!  Texas experienced an "exceptional drought" last year which is worse than an "extreme drought".  They lost a lot of livestock and millions of trees due to the lack of water.






It started to rain last week and didn't stop until over 5 inches fell.  The following pictures were taken just 24 hours apart each.  It was amazing to watch the water rise to almost cover the sandbar and then recede to reveal it again.  In the last picture, you can see a lighter area on the far bank.  That is how much the water rose.  And most of the grassy area in front of it was under water (as you can see in the previous photos).

In spite of the rainy days, we've had some beautiful weather here.  Today is should reach 81!  But it does make for some humid days after all the rain.  The bird watching here has been great since we are in a major "flyway" for the spring migration.  I have been able to add several new sightings to my life list.

Glenn has been diligently working on his software programming trying to get caught up before we start our new job on May 1.

I have also been doing some scrapbooking and cardmaking lately.  I was in the middle of printing some photos and my printer died!!  Not good!  Especially since I recently invested in a set of ink cartridges.  Now, what are the chances of those cartridges working in a new printer?  Not good, I'm afraid.  Plan B - I will work on layouts without pictures until we get to Trevor's.  His printer uses the same inks as mine.  I have been making a detailed list of the photos I need so I can print them from his and use up the inks I have.  Once we start getting paychecks again, I will shop for a new printer.  I promise to post some of my creations soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment